This week’s Balance Your Life™ tip focuses on taking the time to incorporate breathing into your life.
Now, I know what some of you are saying… “I breathe every day, and I don’t even have to think about it!” The kind of breathing we are talking about here are slow, deep, cleansing breaths that bring you to a state of mindfulness. There are tons of apps available that can take you through guided breathing… and for good reason!
- It helps your muscles relax: If you are breathing fine, it helps release any physical tension, which helps your muscles perform at their optimal level
- Oxygen delivery improves: This helps enhance the functionality of your system, physical stamina, and mental concentration
- Lowers your blood pressure: Breathing properly will drastically lower your blood pressure. When you breathe well, your muscles will let go of tension and blood pressure will return to normal
- Endorphins are released: Deep breathing provides pain-relief, improves feelings of well-being as well as triggers the release of endorphins
- Detoxification improves: Breathing properly helps your lymphatic system to function like it should. This, in turn, helps release harmful toxins from your system.
- Relieve stress and anxiety: Short, quick breaths are not good for you. It can lead to perspiration, tightening of the muscles, and rapid heartbeat. By slowing your breathing, you can help release all of these symptoms and mindfully lower your stress levels.
This Balance Your Life™ tip is brought to you by Belmont Health & Wealth. Contact us today for information on group retirement, group employee benefits, personal savings and insurance and even wellness strategies!